Monday, February 25, 2013

Williams-Sonoma Mexican Wedding Cookies

I really really like Mexican wedding cookies. Eric made chocolate chip cookies for the people he home teaches, so I decided to make these for the people I visit teach. Instructions are copied verbatim from the book Cookies by Williams-Sonoma.

Ingredients


1 cup unsalted butter, at room temperature
1 1/4 cups confectioners' sugar
1 tsp vanilla extract
1/4 tsp salt
1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1 cup ground blanched almonds

Instructions


1. In a large bowl, using an electric mixer on high speed, cream the butter until fluffy and pale yellow. Add 1/2 cup of the confectioners' sugar and continue beating until light and fluffy. Add the vanilla and salt and beat on low speed until blended. 

2. Sift the flour and cinnamon together onto a sheet of waxed paper. Add the flour mixture to the butter mixture and mix on low speed or stir with a wooden spoon just until blended. Stir in the almonds. Cover and refrigerate until the dough is chilled, but not hard, and is no longer sticky to the touch, about 15 minutes. 

3. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Have ready 2 ungreased baking sheets. Sift the remaining 3/4 cup confectioners' sugar into a shallow bowl. 

4. Shape the dough into 1-inch balls. Place about 1 inch apart on the baking sheets. 

Bake the cookies until just golden on the bottom, 10-12 minutes. Let the cookies cool on the pans on wire racks for 5 minutes before removing them one at a time and rolling them in the sugar. Let cool completely on wire racks. 

My Notes


I hate rolling things in sugar. 

These were good, and the cookie part did have that Mexican wedding cookie taste, but I think almonds are the worst nut (except for peanuts) and I didn't grind mine finely (I was afraid of getting to almond butter) so there were little bits of almond throughout. Next time I make these I'm going to make them with walnuts. I feel like that's how I've had them before, anyway, and walnuts are just a better nut. 


No comments:

Post a Comment