Monday, February 4, 2013

BTS Cake

A long time ago - maybe in college - someone made a "better than sex cake." It's just what it's called. I made it tonight for Eric's birthday and was surprised that my brother hadn't ever heard of it, so here's the recipe. A box chocolate cake works fine, but a couple of years ago Eric's sister made an awesome chocolate cake so now I use that recipe. Or I've tried to use that recipe...the first time it was overbaked because our oven cooked too hot (but it was still okay because of the filling), and this second time it overflowed (even though the dish was only 1/2 to 2/3 full) and sank again in the middle (again, though, it was okay because of the filling - I just cut away the sides so that it was level). My guesses on this second time are that it was because of the white whole wheat flour I used or because it needs to be cooked at a higher temperature than indicated. It's so good, though, so I'm going to keep trying until I get it right.

http://www.melskitchencafe.com/2010/09/the-best-chocolate-cake.html

The filling is just 1/2 to 2/3 cups each of caramel sauce (ice cream topping) and sweetened condensed milk (mixed together in a saucepan over medium heat until blended). After the cake has baked, poke large holes throughout (maybe an inch apart or less). I use the fat end of a knife or the round end of a wooden spoon. Then pour the filling over the cake, trying to evenly distribute it (don't let it all seep down the edges). Refrigerate for awhile - maybe an hour.

I think most people top the cake with cool whip and then crushed heath bar bits, but sometimes I like to make a frosting with a bar of cream cheese and a little tub of marshmallow fluff. I haven't done that in awhile (Eric thinks it makes the rich cake *too* rich), so I can't really remember, but it might also need some milk and/or powdered sugar to round it out and make it more spreadable.


No comments:

Post a Comment