Friday, February 8, 2013

Chana Masala

I can never remember what the Indian dishes are called. When I go to Indian buffets I know that I usually like the dish with spinach, the one with with lentils, and the one with chickpeas (and the bread and those fritter things and samosas). I saw this recipe and decided to make it in case it's the same as the one with chickpeas.

http://smittenkitchen.com/blog/2010/02/chana-masala/

I used the extra lemon juice instead of amchoor. I wasn't sure what she meant by "hot green pepper," so I bought an anaheim pepper.

I had to buy garam masala for this recipe. The rest of the spices I had (though I only had whole coriander, so I toasted and ground that with the cumin seeds).

Overall, it wasn't a bad dish, but I wouldn't make it again. It was a little too spicy for me (though that would probably be fixed with less chili powder), and it wasn't a thick enough consistency. Maybe it would have been thicker if I had pureed the onion/pepper, or if I had let it cook longer. Or maybe some coconut milk would have worked?

We ate it with our naan, but some rice would have been nice.


No comments:

Post a Comment