Thursday, February 14, 2013

Sugar Cookies

I volunteered to make sugar cookies for a spouse's club Valentine's Day activity so I used the event as an excuse to try a couple of recipes. One of my favorite cookies is the sugar cookie with cream cheese frosting from Smart Cookie, so I'd love to someday find a cookie recipe that's close to theirs.

The first one I tried was just from the Internet. I read some reviews and made a few changes (adding more sugar and vanilla), and I adjusted the recipe for only 30 servings (15 was too few, and anything between 15 and 30 required me to use a fraction of the second egg).

I wasn't happy with how these turned out, and after baking up these and the ones from the other recipe I just ended up buying some at the store on the way to the activity. I was looking for a cookie that would puff up a bit and hold its shape well, but this wasn't it. The ones I got at the store were almost exactly the same, though.

I wonder if I need to start using high-altitude adjustments. Maybe it's because I don't that I so often feel stupid when I'm baking.

Here's the link to the recipe. Below is the ingredients/instructions I used.

Ingredients


3/4 cup butter, softened
1 1/2 cup white sugar
2 eggs
1 tsp vanilla extract
2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt

Instructions

1. In a large bowl, cream together butter and sugar until smooth. Beat in eggs and vanilla. Stir in the flour, baking powder, and salt. Cover, and chill dough for at least one hour (or overnight). 

2. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Roll out dough on floured surface 1/4 to 1/2 inch thick. Cut into shapes with any cookie cutter. Place cookies 1 inch apart on ungreased cookie sheets. 

3. Bake 6 to 8 minutes in preheated oven. Cool completely. 



No comments:

Post a Comment